Friday, July 31, 2020

Internal Vs. External Locus of Control


After completing some surface-level research and gaining a basic understanding of locus of control, I was interested to take the quiz to determine what type of motivation I carry. After reading the description of internal focus( tend to be motivated by their actions, in control of their exercise and eating habits, driven in school), I felt pretty confident I would fall very close to the most extreme of this category. External locus of control tends to be more likely to conform, to follow, or to be carefree. Much to my surprise- I fell somewhere in the middle of the continuum but closer to external locus of control. I did some reflecting on this surprising result and realized that while I perceive myself to be a bit of a “control freak,” my faith and religion weighed heavily in my results to the test. Spirituality and values, as we have learned, are just as valuable in intervention planning as body structures or functions.
            My results are an important lesson in considering the “whole client” when  treating individuals. A client that has an internal locus of control might ask “what can I do more of to improve?” or have a “let’s get this done” attitude. When treating these clients, I want to be aware that they take ownership and responsibility for their actions very seriously. Clients that have had a stroke or significant accident, might blame themselves in the recovery. They might be upset with themselves if they are not progressing and want to work harder to improve. I want to remind clients with an internal locus of control that while we can work hard, perform repetition, or practice over and over, the body takes time and energy to naturally heal. We do not have full control over the way that our body recovers  after surgery, regains abilities after a stroke, or heals after an injury. As a practitioner, I will focus on the strengths and motivations of these individuals while not allowing them to misplace blame on themselves in difficult or emotional times.
            A client with external locus of control might be more likely to say “whatever you tell me!” or ask for more sessions when their discharge is approaching.  This client might believe that the accident or illness was completely out of their hands and have the advantage of being more relaxed or receptive while healing. Unlike the individual with an internal locus of control, this client may be less likely to take responsibility and initiative in their therapy. In treating individuals with external locus of control, I want to set them up for success by reinforcing their value and responsibility in gaining independence. I want to remind them that it is a team effort and that they can take charge of what they do at home to make gains. 

No comments:

Post a Comment