Sunday, August 25, 2019

Innovators Statement- OT (q)- Tips


\
            In brainstorming and working on this assignment, I took a moment to reflect on what it would be like to be in Susan's position. Susan is a 55 year-old mother who was diagnosed with ALS. I thought about my mother who is close to Susan's age and is also an elementary school teacher. I thought about the giant that is ALS and the feelings associated with such a disabling and progressive disease. This assignment gave me a perspective of what would be meaningful to an individual that is living a life with ALS and the importance of involving the entire family. Her husband and children are going through a time of change and we, as OT's, can help Susan to express her feelings and support her loved ones.
Two scrapbook pages made using paint and q-tips
             The average prognosis for individuals with ALS is 23-52 months and it is common for individuals to lose speech abilities. Using the q-tips to scrapbook will give Susan the chance to express herself. This activity is allowing Susan to reflect on her life as a mother and wife while creating work that makes her proud. Creating scrapbook pages will promote function in her upper extremities and will conserve energy by designing paper, not spending time at the craft store. As she moves her arm from paint to paper and grips the Q-tip, Susan will be maintaining range of motion in the upper extremities and grasp in fingers.
            Going forward, after completing this project, I have gained an appreciation for supporting the needs of an individual with ALS, the challenges that they might face, and the impact that the disease can have on families. I now know to think outside the box, knowing that something as simple as a q-tip can be a useful tool in treatment. As a therapist, I will spend time getting know my client's, especially those with a progressive diagnosis, to meet their needs the best that I can. I will consider their emotional concerns, not just physical. I will explain their disability but highlight their ability. I am grateful for a chance to try my hand in the topic of treatment and look forward to learning more.



No comments:

Post a Comment